Replacing Flappers (When Toilets Turn Themselves On)
Article by: Jim Muckle
One of the most frequent problems I am called on to solve at the apartment , Ceramic Tile Underlayments - The Basics complex is toilets that turn on by themselves. The tenant will say, "It keeps turning itself on."Âť
What's happening here is the toilet is slowly leaking around the seal of the flapper, and it's draining the tank. In order to maintain the water , Bad News Critters - Beware of Animals in Crawl Spaces level in the tank the toilet turns itself on, so you get this on and off again syndrome. It's easy to determine if this is the problem by looking into the toilet bowl. The water , Sheetrockers Secrets in the bowl should be calm and smooth, but if you see tiny little ripples of water , Get Organized then your flapper needs to be replaced.
So, how do you replace a flapper?
1. Reach down by the base of the toilet (on
the outside , How Closet Organizers Can Simplify Your Life: Getting the Most From Your Intimate Space of the toilet) and find the water , Thatch Roofing Shingles supply to your toilet. It's usually on the left hand side. Slowly and carefully turn the faucet valve to the right. This will turn the water , Installing Ceramic Tile in a Shower off. I say slowly and carefully because many of these faucets are old and cantankerous, and you don't want to spring , Time To Replace Shingles? a leak in your faucet.
2. Remove the lid of the tank and gently set it someplace out of the way. Sit down on the toilet seat facing the tank. You'll notice that the handle for flushing the tank is attached to a bar that runs above the water , My Dishwasher is Not Starting - What Can It Be? line to about the center of the tank. At the end of this bar is a chain that runs down into the depths of the tank and is attached to the flapper.
This is where your problem is. If you press down on the flapper you may be able to stop the leaking. (I've tried cleaning them off where they seal, so as not to have to replace them, but I haven't had any luck with this, so I always replace them with a new flapper).
3. Your hard plastic , Air Cleaner Filters flapper is removed by gently lifting up on the ears that are attached to the pegs on the pipe that your flapper is attached to. If your existing flapper is a soft rubber type then pull the ears off of the pegs from the side. Remove the flapper and detach the chain from the handle bar.
Now here's some good news. The cheapest flappers work the best. The ones I use are blue , Static Shock and
made of soft rubber. (They cost around $3). Even if your flapper is made of hard plastic , Drapery fabric enhances your window architectural style in any room in your home it can be replaced with a soft blue , Hidden Causes of Water Damage in the Home rubber one, and if your old flapper had a flotation device on the chain you don't have to use it on the new flapper. Just the chain and the rubber flapper are all you need.
4. Reattach the flapper ears to the pegs at the base of the pipe and reattach the chain to the handle bar. (A new chain comes with each new flapper). When you reattach the chain leave a little slack in it so that the flapper easily closes all the way, but you don't want to leave too much slack or it won't pull the flapper up enough to drain the water , Learn About The Different Types Of Mattresses out of the tank, and you'll get an abbreviated flush. The way to get the correct balance is to experiment flushing the toilet over and over, and readjusting your chain length.
5. Turn your water , Bamboo Flooring for the 21st Century back on slowly and gently. Don't put any more strain on these old pipes and threads than is necessary. Let the tank refill and then try flushing. Your flapper should open, stay open for a few seconds and then as the water , Tips On How To Care For Your Ceramic Tile Floor in the tank drains about two thirds of the way the flapper should plop back down and seal the hole. It's magic.
6. The chain length adjustment is sometimes tricky to achieve, but I assure you it does exist. Also you may have to move your chain on the handle bar to one of the different slots. On the handle bars there
are three different holes you can put the chain through to perfect your adjustment. A combination of the correct slack in the chain and the positioning on the flush bar are going to bring you the results you want. Each toilet is unique in its requirements for balancing the chain length.
Flush the toilet and look into the bowl. After a minute or so the water , Bamboo Flooring for the 21st Century should settle down and be as still and placid as a pond. , Tools - Choosing A Handsaw If after several minutes you continue to see ripples your flapper is still not sealing well. If this occurs try cleaning off the lips of the base where the flapper seats itself. Readjust your chain so there's more slack and try flushing it again.
You'll get it.
In review, here are the seven steps to replacing your flapper:
1. Shut water , What is X10 Home Automation? off.
2. Remove lid from toilet tank.
3. Remove flapper, chain and float from handle bar.
4. Install new flapper and connect chain to handle bar.
5. Turn water , Tips for Creating the Perfect Kitchen back on.
6. Test flushing. Make adjustments to chain length and location , DIY Homes In The UK if necessary.
7. Check water , Self Molding Chairs in bowl to make sure there are no ripples.Replacing Flappers is one of many articles from Jim Muckle's booklet: The Property , Tips On How To Care For Your Ceramic Tile Floor Manager (managing and maintaining an apartment , Bad News Critters - Beware of Animals in Crawl Spaces community). You can order his booklet by visiting his web , Self Molding Chairs site at Booklets From Jim Muckle or:
|3 Most Important Questions You Need To Ask Yourself When Thinking Of Bathroom Remodeling - Before going ahead to remodel your bathroom, , Home Improving while Budgeting it is necessary for you to ask and answer the following questions:
How much money do you have for remodeling your bathroom?
This is obviously the most important question you need...
|The Faucet: A Deciding Factor - In the design , Take Smart Steps When Remodeling Your Home of your new kitchen, , Landscape Architecture the faucet can be one of the largest, most critical aspects of it all. In many cases, you will find that a beautiful , Home Automation Enhances Your Lifestyle and Saves Money - Exciting Home Automation Applications one can be the completion of a beautiful kitchen. , The Remarkable Design And Comfort Of Foam Mattresses But how should you decide and what should you lo...
|Rainbow Vacuum Water Washes Your Air, Does A Rainbow Vacuum Really Really Do This? - A Rainbow vacuum is different than almost all vacuum cleaners that you may be familiar with. If you are like most people, you have been using a vacuum cleaner to clean your house , Tips On How To Care For Your Ceramic Tile Floor with that uses a paper bag to catch the dust in. Your mother probabl...
|Ten tips to ensure that you choose the right carpet for your
home or office. -
Buying a new carpet , Solar Energy for your home , Perfumes For Your or business is a decision that
should not be taken lightly.
The right choices will ensure that your chosen carpet , Corrugated Roofing Materials Used for Roofing Any Structure not only
looks great but also proves to be a wise investment.
The wrong choices however can be cos...
|Finding Temperature Sensor Deals - Temperature sensor deals are what many out there need, but not everyone knows how to , The Builder from Hell find the best prices on the equipment that they need. Simply walking into a store, you are going to be shocked at the high prices. But, if you want to really be shoc...
|Mexico: Who Farted? - Do you have embarrassing gas , Bathroom Vanity Cabinets - Considerations Before Buying Bathroom Vanities Online problems? Do you find this problem creeping up on you when you least expect it? I bet not.If you have lived in the United States all your life, I bet you’ve never seen a gas , Building a Custom Ceramic Tile Shower starts with a Shower Pan Membrane Liner main or line and have just taken it o...
|Selecting wine cellar racks and planning wine cellar designs -
Selecting wine cellar racks and planning wine cellar
design , Five Questions to Ask before Making Do It Yourself Home Improvements s
Wine storage racks are the cornerstone of just about any cellar,
whether for your house, , Patio Furniture - The One-Minute Makeover For Your Backyard! restaurant, retail store, or vacation
property , High Quality Shower Filters . Intended for both protecting and showcasing...
|The Working Pantry: A Cure for Kitchen Clutter - In this age of the open plan, , Chlorine Removal by Shower Head Filters live-in kitchen , How To Clean Marble where the kitchen , How To Select The Right Area Rug is exposed to other rooms , Saline versus Chlorine – Which is Best For Your Hot Tub or Pool? of the house , Home Gyms Can Be Made More Effective like the family room, , Digital satellite TV systems create a whole new entertainment
world it is becoming more popular to disguise the ‘kitcheny’ look of the kitchen , Planning Permission Tips Uk - How To Select A Property to Extend or Develop in favor of the more comforting look of the adj...
|Basement Waterproofing - Basement waterproofing is usually completed when a basement , Lower Your Heating and Cooling Bills With Vinyl Replacement Windows is still in the very early stages of water , Wood Laminate Floors damage. The first step in waterproofing is to identify the source of a wet or flooded basement, , All About Metal Ceiling Tile since dealing with the water , How to Make Your House-Painting Project Look Professional source will ensure...
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |