Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Article by: Andrew Seltz
I received a call , A Key Element In Solar Panels - Efficiency this week from my church's office manager saying we needed to have some repairs , The Charm of French Country Kitchen Design made before a visit from the building , Home Seller - Make Needed Repairs inspectors next week. One of the repairs , Tips for Home Remodeling Projects was a hole in the drywall where a door , How to get a Quotation of Estimation From a Contractor or Supplier for Home Decorating handle had punched through the wall. , Yoga for the Home The doorstop had broken and next thing you know there's a repair , Complete Guide to Laminate Flooring, Wood Flooring and Hardwood
Floors job for the Go-To Guy.
Knowing how to , Install Laminate Flooring – The Directions Are On The Package do a patch like this is handy even when you're not repairing damage. The first time I did one was when I installed phone , The Charm of French Country Kitchen Design and cable television service into an older home , 6 Tips to Stop Mold Growing in Your that my parents had purchased. My brother and I cut holes at the top and bottom of the wall , Fine Home Buildings to fish , Buying a Flagpole through the new wire, and then I patched up the holes and repainted and you'd never know the wall , Various Types of Flooring for Your Home had been repaired. The same goes for running a new electrical wire or anything else that requires getting inside , Climbing Frames and Play Structures - is planning permission needed ? the wall. , Lighting and Your Emotions (Part One)
If you don't already know, a typical wall , Skip Troweling Method for Textured Ceilings is mostly air. , Choosing The Proper Flooring For Your Room It is either 2Ãƒâ€”4 wood , Building Your Dream Home - Part 1 studs or metal , Improving your Home with New Windows studs that are placed every 16 inches on-center (when building walls , Rainbow Vacuum Cleaners - For A Unique Clean you measure from the center of each stud and not the edges.) The surface is covered with drywall (a gypsum board covered with a heavy layer of paper) which is screwed or nailed to the studs. It's quick to build and looks great, but can be easily damaged - especially when the builder uses 1/4 inch thick drywall instead of 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch (these are the standard thicknesses.)
When you have a damaged wall , Improving your Home with New Windows you need to replace the broken area with new drywall and then patch the seams and paint. , Twenty-First-Century Barn Raising
The supplies you'll need for this project are:
- Drywall Saw
- Utility Knife
- Drywall piece large enough to fill the hole
- 1Ãƒâ€”3 inch Lumber or pieces of Scrap Plywood for supports
- Drywall Screws
- Joint Compound
- Mesh Fiberglass Drywall Tape
- 6 inch or larger Spreader
- Fine Grit Sand , Move 9 items: Increase Life-Potential 9 times! Paper or Drywall Sanding Screen
- Drill with Drywall Bit
All of these supplies can be found at your local home , Information to Help You Understand the Difference Between Mini
Blinds, Wood Blinds, and Vinyl Blinds center in the construction materials area near the drywall. If you have a small patch, they may give you a scrap of drywall so you won't have to buy a full sheet. There are usually plenty of scraps laying around in various thicknesses.
Here's the step-by-step process:
- Cut a hole larger than the damaged area. Make the corners of the cut as square as possible to make it easier to cut the replacement patch. Use a drywall saw cut the hole
- Cut several pieces of 1Ãƒâ€”3 inch wood , How to get a Quotation of Estimation From a Contractor or Supplier for Home Decorating or plywood scraps that are several inches taller than the hole. Place , Where To Purchase A Camping Air Mattress Of Superior Quality them in the wall , Various Types of Flooring for Your Home near the edges of the hole and use drywall screws , Move 9 items: Increase Life-Potential 9 times! to secure the wood , Information to Help You Understand the Difference Between Mini
Blinds, Blinds, and Vinyl Blinds to the exisiting wall. , Improving your Home with New Windows (Tighten the screws , Handling Your Own Shower Drain Installation Project until the heads are slightly below the surface but don't completely tear through the paper. A drywall bit for your drill is designed to prevent overtightening. It's not essetial, but recommended.) The point here is to create a good solid surface to attach the patch too. If you have a large opening you can put an additional support in the center.
- Using a utility knife, cut a new patch piece that is slightly smaller than the hole. (To cut drywall, cut the paper on the finished side and then bend the board backward until the gypsum 'snaps.' You'll want to support the back along the cut so it breaks evenly. Once it has snapped, use the utility knife to cut the paper on the back.)
- Insert the patch into the opening and securely attach it to the supports you installed using drywall screws. , Air Purifiers One screw , Designer Sinks And Faucets For Your Bath at the top and bottom of each support should be sufficent. (Don't put the screws , Vent-free Gas Heaters Pose Multiple Risks too close to the edges or the gypsum will crumble.)
- Now that the hole is filled you need to cover the seams. Apply fiberglass mesh tape over the seams. (The joint compound used to fill the seams is not strong and will crack if not reinforced.)
- The last step is applying joint compound to the seams with a wide spreading knife Spread the joint compound over the screw , 6 Tips to Stop Mold Growing in Your Home holes and tape creating the smoothest surface you can. Don't get too fussy at this stage. Just get it close. Let this dry overnight and then put on one more light , Building Your Dream Home - Part 1 coat. After this coat dries, smooth out any surface bumps with a light , Vent-free Gas Heaters Pose Multiple Risks sanding.
Your wall , House Plans - Research Is Key is repaired, good as new. Put a coat of wall , Is An Electric Fireplace The Right Choice For You? primer over the patch to seal the surface and then paint , Rainbow Vacuum Cleaners - For A Unique Clean it to match the rest of the wall. , Building Your Dream Home - Part 1 It's important to put on the primer, because raw drywall and joint compound, when painted, will dull the finish of the paint , Improving your Home with New Windows and give away your patch job.
Happy home , Complete Guide to Laminate Flooring, Wood Flooring and Hardwood
The Go-To GuyAndrew Seltz is a Go-To Guy! His wide range of interests and experiences have made him a walking search engine for his friends and colleagues. His home , Rainbow Vacuum Cleaners - For A Unique Clean improvement projects, done for friends and family, have given him hands on experience to share with you. Visit his site: http://www.AndrewSeltz.com
|Clocks For Your Home And Your Lifestyle -
Clocks are an important part of our culture and history. For
centuries the quest to keep accurate time has resulted in the
amazing ability to keep almost exact time in a functional,
stylish package. Clock manufacturers , Roofing, Flashings, and Chimneys go to great lengths to
|Lamps Are Decorative And Functional Too -
Many people don't think twice about the lamps and lights , How to Finish Your Basement and Basement Remodeling in
their home. , Power Tools Tips for Do It Yourself Improvements When you're trying to spruce up your decor , British Petroleum – Solar Products Manufacture though,
or creating a brand new decorating , Knobs, Hinges and More Now Offers Kitchen and Bathroom Faucets theme, one of the best places
, Vinyl Kitchen Flooring: Why you Should Install Vinyl Floors in your Kitchen to start is with lamps... because they can be both beautiful...
|Deck Building Ledger - The Secrets to Successful Deck Construction - The Deck , Carpet Cleaning Tips And Secrets Building Ledger holds all the secrets to
successful deck , Simple and easy ways to decorate your bathroom construction because it is the essential
piece of wood , Care & Maintenance of Stone Sinks that connects your deck , Quick and Dirty Guide to Wood Flooring to your home , How To Choose A Pool Cover? and
from which all other measurements are taken.Choose the piece of lumber for...
|Charge Up With an Ionic Air Cleaner! - Similar to an ozone , Using Windchimes Effectively in Feng Shui cleaner, an ionic air , How To Clean Decks Like A Professional purifier also uses an electrical charge to alter oxygen atoms in the air. , Introduction to Pipe Rep for Oil, Gas, Water or Wastewater There is often confusion between ionic air , How to Get the Best Basement Finishing cleaners and ozone air , How to Get the Best Basement Finishing purifiers. The main advantage of the former is that an ionic air...
|Unwelcome Guests: Furry Visitors; Part III - The safest and easiest way to keep animals out of your home, , Your Shower Door Can Have A Huge Impact On The Look And Feel Of Your Bathroom! is to eliminate all points of entry. Bats and mice can fit through openings that you might not even get a finger into! High-grade caulking, sheet metal , Hire a Contractor for Best Home Improvement Results and wire mesh are among the more...
|Ideas For Closet Organizers - Closet Organizers
Most people like you love to keep everything in its place. , Picture Perfect Floors: A guide to Laminate Flooring They like also to clean up every room , Decorating Kid's s On A Small Budget of the house , Beautifying Your Home often. However, it can take some hours to get everything in the correct place, , Patio Furniture - The One-Minute Makeover For Your Backyard! specially if you donÂ’t have a...
|Fireplaces and How to Locate the Best Stores - If you are mostly searching for solid stone , Air Purifier Basics fireplaces or tempered glass , Solar Power: Becoming America's Choice fireplace closures, undoubtedly these types of items may not turn out to be commonly available on a large number of portals, be sure that you use your browser favorites function...
|Install Wood Flooring - Wood floors , Pool Decking - The Perfect Way To Beautify The Area Around Your Pool are much in demand today because of their beauty, eco-friendliness, value and exotic appeal. Wood , Creating Your Joyful Home: Dawning of Your Emotions flooring has also become very easy to obtain, install and maintain with advancements in technology.The equipment required for inst...
|Snazz Up Your Home With Some Hot Candle Holders - One of the easiest ways to perk up your house , Kit Homes: Popular for Over a Century is to add some amazing candle holders to your room , You can update the look of your kitchen by refacing or painting your exiting kitchen cabinets décor. These candle holders are inexpensive and they look great in any room , Kitchen Improvements: It's Simpler Than You Think! of the house. , Thawing Frozen Pipes Without a Plumber And lets face it, if you love candles you need to have some goo...
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |