Mobile Homes... What to Look for
Article by: Gil Strachan
Mobile homes , Tips on Selecting a Futon Bed are usually mounted on grade-level wooden , Patio – Attachments And Benefits or concrete , 5 Basic Tips When Choosing Hardwood Flooring blocks, with the trailer wheels removed. They are typically skirted with vinyl or aluminum siding, or painted plywood sheathing. Mobile homes , Get a Tax Credit for Using Renewable Energy in Oregon are sometimes installed on concrete , Power Washing Aluminum Siding Like A Professional block foundations, and it can be difficult to determine whether the foundations are mounted below the frost level, because the crawl spaces are normally back-filled to grade level. We've seen the odd mobile installed on a full-depth, finished basement. , Choosing and caring for rugs From an occupancy point point of view, there is essentially little to separate such installations from many other manufactured homes. , Cleaning service in your area
Mortgage lenders and insurance companies generally request storm tie-downs for mobiles homes , Leather Furnishings - How to Clean and Care for Them in most areas, unless they are bolted to foundations at least 5 feet deep.
Experienced home , Things to Consider in Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet inspectors ask the same fee for mobile home , Choosing and caring for rugs inspections as for traditional homes. , Things to Consider When Purchasing Sunroom Kits Although mobiles tend to be smaller than the average house, , Breaking the Home Theater Surround Sound Barrier they do take as much, and sometimes more time to inspect. The same is true for most cottages. We frequently hear "It's only a small cottage", or "It's only a mobile, why should it cost as much as a house?"
We do a number of mobile home , Power Washing Aluminum Siding Like A Professional inspections every year, however they account for less than 2% of our total volume. The following are some of the points that we pay particular attention to, some of which are specific to cold-weather climates. , Cozyin' Up to Winter There are certainly more items than listed here, to check for - but these are some of the more critical items that come to mind, which are specific to mobile homes. , A New Type of that Leaves Your Wallet Fatter and Your Life Easier to Manage
1. Check crawl space venting, and look for evidence of mildew, rot, rust etc. under the unit - especially exposed, retrofitted plumbing, , Natural Cork Flooring Is The Eco-Friendly Choice electrical and duct work.
2. Are the supply and waste piping adequately insulated, and/or heated for winter , Things to Consider When Purchasing Sunroom Kits conditions?
3. Is there adequate combustion air , Get a Tax Credit for Using Renewable Energy in Oregon for a standard gas , Patio Heaters or oil furnace? Most of the furnaces we observe are standard gas , Get a Tax Credit for Using Renewable Energy in Oregon or oil, forced-air, down-flow style. The make-up (combustion) air , Home Remodeling Tips source is usually from under the trailer, excepting newer installations of direct-vent furnaces.
Is there adequate ductwork? In some mobile mobile homehomes the original configuration provided for supply and return air , Home Security Tips To Help Protect You And Your Family only at the furnace closet door. , Natural Cork Flooring Is The Eco-Friendly Choice Much of the retrofit ducting is flex-duct, and may be damaged or deteriorated under the unit. Everything under the unit is also susceptible to rodents.
* Speaking of rodents, don't be too quick to stick your head into dark spaces - you could meet any number of cats, rats, coons and other critters - they can be vicious when they're cornered!
4. In cold-weather regions, uninsulated oil tanks (outdoors) are subject to condensation and rust, especially at their bottoms.
5. Depending on the soils , Living Finish Defined - The Facts About Copper Sink Finishes under the trailer, the unit may heave and shift under heavy frost conditions, unless the pilings are mounted below frost level.
6. Many units are insulated with Urea Formaldehyde Foam Insulation (UFFI). This might, or might not be a consideration - depending upon history and attitudes in your local , Metal Carports: Steel Carport Guide area. Polyurethane foam and other insulations are sometimes mistakenly identified as UFFI.
7. Mobiles are generally quite air-tight and (in cold-weather regions) retained moisture , Bed Buying Magic will cause excessive condensation on windows, , Leather Home Furnishings - How to Clean and Care for Them especially metal-framed and/or single-pane units. Many mobile home , Breaking the Theater Surround Sound Barrier in colder areas are re-fitted with wooden , Home Remodeling Tips or vinyl, double-pane windows. , Home Remodeling Tips
8. Older mobiles had 50 or 60 amp electric , Kitchen Remodeling Checklist: Are Your Prepared? capacity, and newer models most often have 100 amps. However, depending on the mobile home , How To Choose Outdoor Carpeting park, they may be connected to a pole-mounted shut-off, of less than 100 amps.
9. In many mobile home , Patio Canopies: Protecting Your Patio From The Elements... parks, water , Knobs, Hinges and More is Proud to Introduce Objects by Tracy
Glover Studios and Michael Healy Desig and sewage are private or communal - not municipal. It is important to know how your sewage is managed, who is responsible and who pays for maintenance and repairs , Patio – Attachments And Benefits to private or communal systems.
10. Beware of owner-installed porches , Decorating Tips to Update Your Living Room: New Paint, a Fireplace Mantel and More and additions. These demand diligent inspection. There is frequently wood-earth contact, and poor ventilation underneath - and frequently unorthodox framing methods. The porch , Light Up Your Life roof-to-wall flashings are frequently substandard and problematic.
In our search for standards information. , Tips on Selecting a Futon Bed ..
* Building , Miracles Always Happen Under A Tent ( A Gazebo Or A Canopy)! Code Officials inspect only 'built-on-site' structures.
* The mobile home , Patio Heaters sales and service outlets suggested we contact the manufacturers , Things to Consider in Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet for standards information. , Natural Cork Flooring Is The Eco-Friendly Choice
* One manufacturer , Bed Buying Magic directed us to CSA (equivalent to UL... they test everything from bread makers to woodstoves.)
* CSA directed us to the Building , 5 Basic Tips When Choosing Hardwood Flooring Code Officials for post-installation concerns... it appears that mobile homes, , 5 Basic Tips When Choosing Hardwood Flooring at this time in our local , Kitchen Remodeling Checklist: Are Your Prepared? area, are in an administrative "grey" area.
More notes regarding the installation of mobile homes. , Small Space Bathroom Remodeling - Maximize the Space and Save ..
* In regions not considered "high-wind" zones, over-the-top tie-downs have not historically been used for single-wide manufactured homes. , Living Finish Defined - The Facts About Copper Sink Finishes
* Piers or pilings comprised concrete , 5 Things to Do Before Starting A Kitchen Design Project and/or wooden , Home Security Tips To Help Protect You And Your Family blocks, placed on-grade at intervals beneath the trailer frame, have historically been accepted as the norm in most parts of Canada.
* Tie-downs consisting of spun steel cable, wrapped around the trailer frame and fastened to driven or screw , great alarms anchors are typical in most locales, although not necessarily consistent among all manufactured homes. , 5 Things to Do Before Starting A Kitchen Design Project
* The mounting and tie-down methods typically employed may, or may not comply with the manufacturer's recommendations.
* Although mention is often made of manufacturer's installation manuals, these documents are rarely, if ever available.
* See also: CBD-188. Wind Forces on Mobile Homes , Decorating Tips to Update Your Living Room: New Paint, a Fireplace Mantel and More by National Research Council Canada, 1977
Notes on Moving Mobile Homes. , Patio – Attachments And Benefits ..
* Under some circumstances (leased land, for example) a lender or insurer may want some assurance that a mobile home , Things to Consider in Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet is still transportable.
* Older mobile homes , Things to Consider in Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet may or may not be transportable, depending upon whether moving service personnel are able to mount axle assemblies, and whether the unit is roadworthy.
* The actual process of moving a mobile home , Cozyin' Up to Winter as a vehicle is a point of interest which a home , How To Find The Best Caterer For Your Party inspector cannot address or confirm, and involves considerations which only the selected mover could evaluate. It is however reasonable to believe that if axles could not be installed for any reason, or if the unit is found to be not roadworthy as a vehicle in its original configuration, it could possibly be moved by other means, much the same as any small house. , Things to Consider in Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet
* We recommend that estimates be obtained from reputable mobile home , How To Choose Outdoor Carpeting or house , Natural Cork Flooring Is The Eco-Friendly Choice movers regarding any costs, or possible impediments to moving a mobile home. , Bed Buying Magic Evaluation of this type of activity is outside , 5 Basic Tips When Choosing Hardwood Flooring the scope of a normal home , Metal Carports: Steel Carport Guide inspection.
The Bottom Line:
Properly installed and maintained, mobile homes , Houses That Make People Sick can provide very comfortable housing. They are relatively low-maintenance dwellings, and are considerably less expensive than traditional homes , Advice On Asbestos Disposal of similar floor , Things to Consider When Purchasing Sunroom Kits area.
Improperly installed and poorly maintained, mobile homes , Seven Energy Conservation Tips to Help owners Save Money can be uncomfortable, difficult to repair , Kitchen Remodeling Checklist: Are Your Prepared? and often unsafe to live in.
Visit www.mobilehomerepair.com for more consumer info about manufactured homes. , Patio – Attachments And Benefits Copyright Gil Strachan - All rights reserved.
Gil Strachan is a professional home , How to Collect Physical Mold Growth Samples for Low-Cost Mold Laboratory Identification of Mold Spec inspector, representing Electrospec Home , Castle Blueprint Plans - All The Rage Inspection Services in east-central Ontario, Canada since 1994. Visit http://www.allaroundthehouse.com to learn more about home , How to Collect Physical Mold Growth Samples for Low-Cost Mold Laboratory Identification of Mold Spec inspections.
"The Home , Power Washing Aluminum Siding Like A Professional Reference Book"
You can probably find a home , Miracles Always Happen Under A Tent ( A Gazebo Or A Canopy)! inspection for a little less than what we ask, but you probably won't find the Home , Hard Wood Flooring Reference Book. A $60 value, this solutions-oriented reference tool , Tips on Selecting a Futon Bed comes free with every inspection we perform.
It's the first tool , Small Space Bathroom Remodeling - Maximize the Space and Save you should have around the house! , Light Up Your Life
|Bottle Openers – Did You Know? - There are surprisingly many different kinds of bottle openers out there, but the two most popular by far are corkscrews and bar blades or crown cork removers. Corkscrews are used for opening bottles with corks, such as bottles of wine or champagne...
|Energy Saving Light Bulbs - The Sensible Alternative -
The lights , New!! "One Stop Shop" Online Mini Mall in an average household , Vinyl Replacement Windows Add Value from Every Perspective to Your Home use about 20% of the total
electric , Choosing A Bed & Mattress - To Get A Good Night’s Sleep ity, so anything that will reduce that power , How to Install Sauna Room Doors and Benches consumption
will help lower your energy , Thinking of building your own deck? bill while cutting down on
pollution , Stone Foundation Repair . Fortunately, it's easy to save energy , Construction Equipment Â– Are You Qualified To Rent? on lighting by
|The Science of Architecture - You’re told to take vitamins, drink plenty of water, , Here Comes The Sun: Solar Energy is Becoming More Attractive for Mainstream Consumers get a good night’s sleep and exercise, but has anyone ever told you that the design , Home Improvements Â– Questions and Answers of your home , Hot Tub Heaven and office can impact your health? You wouldn’t be alone in raising an eyebrow and questioning...
Home-Storage created out of and old door, , Great Chef Cookware Starts Selling Kitchen Products on the World
Wide Web this is imagination!
As you go along in getting better in your Home-Storage and
organization, you will accomplish three things:
1- Make your life easier, because everything will get their
own place. , Flooring Tips You Must Know
|With water shall we clean... -
The bathroom , Area Rugs: Low Cost Way To Beautify Your Home is a place , The Three Types Of Gas Fires not too many people bother about. The
assumption is that the commission of a necessity need not be
attended with ceremony. Psychologists would have us believe that
our consciousness with sin and dirt results in a certain tens...
|Designing Professional Porch Railings - If you plan , Owner Builders! Save the Dollars Build Your Home and Have Your Dream! to install a professional looking porch , Color Help: Choosing Color Combinations railing for the first time you want to ensure you do it right the first time. This requires among other things proper design , Prefabricated Storage Buildings and proper planning. Properly designed railings require multiple parts in...
|Cabinet Hardware Speak Volumes About Your Personality -
What is cabinet hardware? Are you looking to remodel your
kitchen , Decorate Your Room With A Focal Point or bathroom , Rustic Home Decor Makes a Comeback cabinets? Do you want a new look in your
kitchen , Counter Tops - Clean, Shiny, Inviting: Choosing the Best One ? You can change , How to Select a Home Remodeling Contractor the look in your kitchen , Reinventing The Speaker Bracket - The Conductive Speaker Mounting System without
completely remodeling. So if you plan , Swim Spas Make a Big Splash with Baby Boomers on changing your cabinet
hardware , A Guide to Portable Dehumidifiers ,...
|Laminate Flooring, A FLOOR FOR ALL SEASONS? - Laminate Flooring
, Mobile Home Remodeling
Real wooden floors , Five Tips On Buying Water Products For Your Home can bring warmth and comfort to a room, , Roof Preparation before Installing Roof Shingles turning ordinary dwellings into cozy cottages, gray office quarters into lounge-like spaces, and a house , How To Artify Your Home into a home. , Mobile Remodeling But with the current shortage of trees, , CNC Router Buying Guide an...
|Remodelling Your Bathroom On A Budget - Remodelling costs can run into hundreds, sometimes thousands of pounds, and most people don’t have the time or skills , Tarps Buying the Easy Way to do it themselves. Here are some tips , Portable Air Conditioners - An Inexpensive Cooling Solution for Your Home and advice , What Every Kitchen Needs that you can use to brighten up that jaded bathroom. , Cheap Faux Wood Blinds - An Alternative to Wooden Blinds? · If you are tied o...
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |