How to Prevent Clothes Dryer Fires
Article by: Corey K. Tournet
Few people realize the importance of dryer safety. , Elegant and Private Bathroom Window Coverings According to the U.S. Consumer Product , 10 Ways to Survive Builing or Remodeling Your Home Safety Commission, there are an estimated annual , A Guide to Choosing Your Home Flooring Material 15,500 fires, , Kitchen Organizers - Save Space & Find What You Need 10 deaths and 10 injuries caused by dryer fire. , Getting Started with Home improvement Ideas - Part 2 Several hundred people a year are also subjected to carbon , Changing Tastes - The Appeal Of The Orient monoxide poisoning from improper dryer safety , Heated Driveways: Who, What, Where, When, Why, & How measures. The financial costs come to nearly $100,000,000 per year. In some cases faulty appliances are to blame, but many fires , Aluminum Awnings – An Economical Way To Cool Your Home can be prevented with proper dryer safety , Choosing the Right House Plan precautions.
Why Dryer Fires , Air Ventilation For Protecting Against Leaky Basements Occur
Lint accumulation and reduced airflow feed on each other to provide conditions ripe for a fire. , Bathroom Sinks To Brighten Your Bathroom Lint is a highly combustible material, which, interestingly enough, is one of the ingredients in a recipe for home-made fire , Changing Your Utilities' Suppliers starters. A number of dryer , Ceiling Fans - A Lovely Addition to Any Room vent problems contribute to this.
A growing , Ordering Parts For Your Plumbing Through The Mail problem
Traditionally, most clothes dryers , Heated Driveways: Who, What, Where, When, Why, & How were in the basement. , Aluminum Awnings – An Economical Way To Cool Your Home However, nowadays many newer homes , Landscape Maintenance: Fertilization tend to have dryers , Effective Air conditioners - 9 Ways to Cut Your Energy Bill by
Half located away from an outside , Bathroom Sinks To Brighten Your Bathroom wall in bedrooms, bathrooms, , A Review of Air Compressor Manufacturers kitchens , Tips on how to give your bathroom a new look. and hall closets. These new locations , 5 Top Bathroom Decorating Style Ideas mean dryers , The Hard Hat tend to be vented longer distances and vents are generally installed with sharp turns and bends to accommodate the structure of the home. , Landscape Maintenance: Fertilization As a result, dryer , Feng Shui: Water And The Cycle Of Life vents are harder to reach, and also create more places , Effective Air conditioners - 9 Ways to Cut Your Energy Bill by
Half for lint to gather. The ideal solution is to have short, straight, dryer , How to Fix Your Groove! duct venting. However, a dryer , Landscape Maintenance: Fertilization vent booster, while not the ideal approach, can improve your dryer , Choosing A Mattress venting in cases where your venting is longer and/or has more bends than it should. In addition to creating a fire , history of lacquer paintings hazard, if the venting is too long and/or has two many bends, it will cause your dryer , Autumn Wreaths Mark The Season to take much longer than necessary to dry loads.
Inside , Ordering Parts For Your Plumbing Through The Mail the Dryer
Lint is the biggest culprit here. As you know from cleaning out your lint filter, dryers , The Hard Hat produce very large quantities of lint. Most people assume their lint traps catch all the lint, and that all they need to do is clean them out after each load. However, a significant amount of this lint is not caught by the lint trap and builds up inside , Laminated Flooring Installation Tips the dryer-even on the heating element! If you are skeptical, try this experiment: pull out the lint trap and look underneath it- you may find large mounds of lint staring at you. Lint can build up on the heating element and in other places inside , How To Choose Locking Mailboxes the dryer, , 10 Tips To Maximizing Sale Of Your Home causing it to overheat and possibly catch fire. , Elegant and Private Bathroom Window Coverings As a rule, a fire , Kitchen Organizers - Save Space & Find What You Need starts from a spark in the machine. However, improper clothes dryer , Wood Pellet vs Corn Stoves: The Choice May be Out of Your Hands venting practices outside , Changing Tastes - The Appeal Of The Orient the dryer , Forget Warranty Worries! can play a key role in this process.
Outside , Mattress Selection - A Practical Approach the Dryer
There are many improper dryer , Choosing A Mattress vent practices which restrict airflow and lead to lint buildup, the two main preventable causes of dryer fires. , Ceiling Fans - A Lovely Addition to Any Room
Some of the most common and important dryer , Conventional Steam Saunas vs. Infrared Saunas vent mistakes are:
1. Dryer , Choosing the Right House Plan vents are too long and/or have too many bends, but don't use a dryer , Choosing the Right House Plan duct booster, resulting in lint buildup. When it comes to dryer , Laminated Flooring Installation Tips vents, shorter and straighter is better.
2. Use of flammable, flimsy plastic , Ordering Parts For Your Plumbing Through The Mail or foil duct extenders. Only metal , Landscape Maintenance: Fertilization vents should be used, which is what most manufacturers , How to Fix Your Groove! specify. Metal , How to Use Concrete in a Traditional Kitchen vents also resist crushing better than plastic , The Hard Hat and foil, which allows the air , Contemporary Furniture - What Style is For You? and lint to be carried out of the system. Reduced airflow from build-up or crushing can cause overheating and wear out the clothes and appliance faster. In fact, many state and local , Getting Started with Home improvement Ideas - Part 2 municipalities have placed requirements on new and remodeling projects to include all metal dryer , Kitchen Organizers - Save Space & Find What You Need venting.
3. Inadequate clearance space between dryer , A Guide to Choosing Your Home Flooring Material and wall. , Different Methods Of Sound Proofing Many people create problems by putting their dryer , Bathroom Sinks To Brighten Your Bathroom right against the wall, , Termites and Termite Control - How To Stop Problem Jobs From Becoming Nightmares crushing the venting material in the process. The cumulative effect of reduced airflow and the resulting lint build-up prevent the dryer , Wood Pellet vs Corn Stoves: The Choice May be Out of Your Hands from drying at the normal rate. This causes the high temperature , history of lacquer paintings limit safety , Ceiling Fans - A Lovely Addition to Any Room switch to cycle on and off to control the heater. Most high temperature , How to Fix Your Groove! limit safety , A Guide to Choosing Your Home Flooring Material switches were not designed to continuously cycle on and off, so they fail over a period of time.
4. Failure to clean the dryer , Feng Shui: Water And The Cycle Of Life duct.
Your Dryer , Laminated Flooring Installation Tips May be Failing If:
The clothes are taking an inordinately long period of time to dry, come out hotter than usual or if the vent hood flapper doesn't open. Maintenance is needed in these cases.
Only You Can Prevent Clothes Dryer , 10 Ways to Survive Builing or Remodeling Your Home Fires
Proper Installation & Choice of Building , Changing Your Utilities' Suppliers Materials
1. Make sure the dryer , Aluminum Awnings – An Economical Way To Cool Your Home duct is made of solid metallic material. Both vinyl and foil are combustible and spiral-wound surfaces tend to catch lint more readily.
2. The dryer , Wood Pellet vs Corn Stoves: The Choice May be Out of Your Hands duct should vent to the exterior and in no case should it vent to the attic or crawlspace. Avoid the use of inside , How To Choose Locking Mailboxes heat recovery diverter valves or termination boxes, which do not comply with current standards.
3. Avoid kinking or crushing the dryer , So You've Put an Offer on a Home. What's Next? duct to make up for installation in tight quarters -this further restricts airflow. If you really want to save , How To Choose Locking Mailboxes the extra space, the Dryerbox is a new invention that allows the dryer , Kitchen Organizers - Save Space & Find What You Need to be safely installed against the wall. , Air Ventilation For Protecting Against Leaky Basements
4. Minimize the length of the exhaust duct (maximum recommended lengths depend on a number of factors, such as number of bends, and vary by model-check with your manufacturer , Tips on how to give your bathroom a new look. for their specifications). If this is not possible, you can install a dryer , The Hard Hat duct booster.
5. If at all possible, use 4-inch diameter vent pipe and exterior exhaust hoods that have openings of sixteen square inches or more, which offer the least resistance to air , Effective conditioners - 9 Ways to Cut Your Energy Bill by
6. Don't use screws , Mattress Selection - A Practical Approach to put your vent pipe together - the screw , 5 Top Bathroom Decorating Style Ideas shafts inside , How to Use Concrete in a Traditional Kitchen the piping collect lint and cause additional friction.
Keep the Dryer , Changing Tastes - The Appeal Of The Orient Duct in Good Condition
Disconnect, clean and inspect the dryer , Tips on Picking the Right Humidifier duct run on a regular basis, or hire a professional company to clean the dryer , What washing machine? duct. This will reduce the fire , Conventional Steam Saunas vs. Infrared Saunas hazard, increase the dryer's efficiency and increase its lifespan. In addition, you are less likely to experience water , Autumn Wreaths Mark The Season damage.
Keep Your Dryer , How to Use Concrete in a Traditional Kitchen as Lint-Free as Possible
By keeping your dryer , Water Purification Units - Every Home Needs One clean, not only will you significantly reduce the fire , Tips on how to give your bathroom a new look. hazard, you will also save , Conventional Steam Saunas vs. Infrared Saunas money as your dryer , 10 Ways to Survive Builing or Remodeling Your Home will run more efficiently and last longer.
To keep your dryer , Tips on how to give your bathroom a new look. clean:
1. Use a lint brush or vacuum attachment to remove accumulated lint from under the lint trap and other accessible places , How to Use Concrete in a Traditional Kitchen on a periodic basis.
2. Every 1-3 years, depending upon usage, have the dryer , Contemporary Furniture - What Style is For You? taken apart and thoroughly cleaned out by a qualified service technician.
3. Clean the lint trap after each load.
1. Use a condensing dryer. , Knife Blades and Dangerous Edges Unlike conventional clothes dryers, , Heated Driveways: Who, What, Where, When, Why, & How condensing dryers , Knife Blades and Dangerous Edges do require external clothes dryer , Effective Air conditioners - 9 Ways to Cut Your Energy Bill by
Half venting. This significantly reduces the risk of a dryer fire. , Kitchen Remodeling
2. Use a spin dryer, , Laminated Flooring Installation Tips which uses an extremely fast spin speed to extract water , Laminated Flooring Installation Tips from the clothes. They extract significantly more water , Tips on how to give your bathroom a new look. from the clothes than a washing machine spin cycle does. Spin dryers , Bathroom Sinks To Brighten Your Bathroom can be used alone or in conjunction with a conventional clothes dryer. , Feng Shui: Water And The Cycle Of Life
Before You Go....
1. Never let your clothes dryer , Fireplaces: Find them Fast and at a Discount run while you are out of the house , Feng Shui: Water And The Cycle Of Life or even worse, when you are asleep.
2. Thoroughly read manufacturers' instructions regarding the safe , Conventional Steam Saunas vs. Infrared Saunas use of their dryers. , Tips on Picking the Right Humidifier
3. If all else fails, you can always use an old-fashioned clothesline. There have never been any reported clothesline fires! , history of lacquer paintings
Article Source: http://www.articledashboard.com
Corey K. Tournet is the owner of The Laundry , Termites and Termite Control - How To Stop Problem Jobs From Becoming Nightmares Alternative, a company which specializes inportable washers and septic tank careproducts. You can visit his website at www.laundry-alternative.com
|Real Estate: Points for Purchasers - * What is a home , Duct Tape inspection?A home , Energy Audit - Fireplaces, Attics and More inspection is an objective, in-depth visual examination of a home's structure and operating systems, and should result in a detailed report describing the condition of the home. , Window Manufacturers Qualifying For Energy Star Ratings * Why do I n...
|Bed and Bedding via Online Shopping - You might like to consider that a town book store might possibly be an obvious place , Memory Foam Mattresses Under Oath...The Truth and Nothing But
The Truth to obtain guidance aimed at bed products, , Modern bedding ideas internet , Humidifier or Dehumidifier - Which is Right for You? availability might often cause us to ignore the numerous other bedding , Air Filters - Everything You Need To Know About Air Filters resources which are currently freely availa...
|Protect Your Pool With Pool Covers - Reap Benefits - Pool covers are becoming increasingly popular among commercial pool as well as home , Information About Stainless Steel Cleaner And Stainless Steel Polish pool owners. This holds true for both indoor , Bed Buying Tips for the Novis Shopper and outdoor , A Collage of Ceramics: Which Would Look Best with Your Home Renovation? swimming pools. Pool covers offer a lot of benefits for any pool owner, some of which even translates to...
|Honda's Newest Portable Generators - New Honda inverter-equipped portable generators are user friendly, with Honda engines that run clean and surpass the regulations , Dried Flower Wreaths Keep Nature's Beauty Alive of environmentally , Imported Tools vs. "Brand Name" - Are They As Good? friendly clean emissions. This new EU series Honda portable generator gives you very high quality e...
|Composite Decking Material – Choose From Several Brands To Beautify Your Home - There are many types of composite decking material for you to choose from when you decide this is the material you want for your deck. , Repairing Household Cleaning Equipment Although composite decking is composed of wood, , Deep Fryer - Pieces of Wisdom it does have other components as well, such as recycled plastic...
|A Review of Popular Dehumidifier Products - There are at least two dozen brand names marketing dehumidifiers. Review this brief summary of five of the most commonly requested brands, and you’ll be well on your way to narrowing down the list.Goldstar DehumidifiersAs with most o...
|How Your Home Can Benefit From A Furnace Humidifier - Home improvements , Why Oak Hardwood Flooring Is The Best For You are big business these days, with many home , Helpful Tips On Hardwood Floor Care owners spending a great deal of money on improving their houses , Changing Your Utilities' Suppliers and apartments. , How To Clean Decks Like A Professional However, there are also ways of keeping your home , Air Ventilation For Protecting Against Leaky Basements and belongings in good condition without spending a fortun...
|Generators - Generators are used for the generation of electric power. , Basement Dehumidifiers There are basically two types of generators: standby generators and portable generators. Generators ensure that most of the essential appliances can be run whenever there is a power , Carpet Cleaning Tips outage....
|Why Oak Hardwood Flooring Is The Best For You - The primary question most home-lovers ask of themselves is this: what is the best way to improve the durability, look and value of homes , Air Cleaner Filters or apartments? The answer to that simple question is a lot simpler: oak hardwood floors. , The Wonders of Walk-In Bathtubs Oak wood , Must Have Tools For Homebuilding is...
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |