Basement Apartment - Thinking About Building One?
Article by: Gil Strachan
This article is intended for discussion purposes only and not as a code interpretation. For specific articles and conformance, please consult the Ontario Fire , Types Of Wood Flooring Code, Retrofit Section 9.8 of the Ontario Building , Water Ionizers Counters the Effects of Urbanization Code.
We have prepared a list of some of the things you should be thinking about, if you're considering construction of a self-contained apartment , Various Types of Flooring for Your Home within your home. , Roof Leaks - How to Detect The regulatory information , Things To Consider While Designing A Guest Bedroom was current as of 1996, however may be subject to change , Central Heating - Balancing Radiators at any time. Consult with your local , Advice On Asbestos Disposal Building Code Official or Fire , 10 Steps to Improve Your Lighting Department for up-to-date regulations. , Various Types of Flooring for Your Home
Most existing two-unit houses , How to Find a Reputable Roofing Contractor (built before Nov. 16, 1995) will be "grandfathered" (continue to be allowed) under the new legislation, provided they meet applicable municipal planning standards. As well, two unit houses , How to Select and Care for Crystal Barware should have met Fire , Picking up the right Dish Network deals: Programming selections Code requirements by July 14, 1996. In general, new apartments , Cheap Faux Wood Blinds - An Alternative to Wooden Blinds? must comply with the Building , Marble Tile Code, and existing apartments , How to Find a Reputable Roofing Contractor must comply with the Fire , Dishwasher Fever - What these Large Appliances Offer! Code. Both new and existing apartments , Foundation Problems, Do's and Don'ts must comply with certain property , Outdoor Living Spaces Extend Your Livable Space And Delight The Senses and municipal zoning (planning) standards.
Get it in writing!
It would appear your best protection is to obtain a certificate of compliance from the local , Choose Best Gas Grill and Cook Delicious Food fire department for any property , Choosing The Right Gas Water Heater that might fall , Roof Leaks - How to Detect under the jurisdiction of the Fire , Bamboo Flooring - The "Other" Wood Code, Section 9.8. You should obtain a building , Home: Installing Sill Plates permit before starting any new construction. If you don't obtain a permit, or a certificate of compliance, the dwelling unit could possibly be non-conforming, and therefore considered illegal.
Also, municipalities have the right to decide where they will allow homes , Five Tips To Quickly Recognize Serious Structural Problems - Inspection Tips For Denver-boulder to have additional dwelling units and can designate areas where they will not allow homes , Mistakes? to have additional dwelling units. Units installed after November 16, 1995 without a permit are unprotected (even if they meet fire, , Types Of Wood Flooring safety , A Lasting Scent & electrical standards) and the municipality could require removal of the unit.
What to consider when building , Easy Installation Of Mini Blinds your apartment:
* Walls/floors/ceilings should be covered with materials with a 30 minute fire , Steel Shelving: A Work Of The Master Class rating (eg. drywall); or materials with a 15 minute fire , Dishwasher Fever - What these Large Appliances Offer! rating and interconnected smoke alarms, , Bathroom Sinks To Brighten Your Bathroom throughout all dwellings in the house. , Are Showers Harmful to Your Health?
* New! Ontario, 1998: All homeowners must maintain smoke detectors on every elevation, even if the dwelling is not rented or sub-let. Check with your local, , A Clean House is a Lucky House: 8 Tips for Creating a Clean -- and Fortunate -- Home provincial or state authority to confirm requirements for smoke detectors in your area.
* Materials not rated for fire , Decorating Kid's Rooms On A Small Budget protection are not recommended, and usually require installation of a sprinkler system throughout all dwellings in the house. , Easy Installation Of Mini Blinds
* A private entrance must be provided, and the route must not involve entering another dwelling. A second means of exit must be provided, which can be another door , Quartz Countertops As An Alternative To Granite or Laminate or a window , Choosing The Right Gas Water Heater easily accessible and unobstructed.
Before renting an existing apartment , Marble Tile in your home:
* If the apartment , Outdoor Living Spaces Extend Your Livable Space And Delight The Senses was built after Nov.16, 1995, was a permit issued?
* Is there a certificate of compliance in existence from Ontario Hydro? From the local , Decorating Kid's Rooms On A Small Budget fire department?
* Are there interconnected fire , Are Showers Harmful to Your Health? alarms?
* What size is the electrical service? Is there enough "ampacity" (capacity) to support two separate living units?
Before building , Choose Best Gas Grill and Cook Delicious Food an apartment , Bed shopping advice for the tired shopper within your home:
* Consult Section 9.8 of the Building , Bamboo Flooring - The "Other" Wood Code, to determine the possibility and/or practicality of your project.
* Apply for a building , Bamboo Wood Flooring Guide permit.
* Consult with local , Roof Leaks - How to Detect fire and building , Choosing The Right Gas Water Heater officials, before actually starting construction, to ensure that your apartment , Types Of Wood Flooring will pass their inspections.
* There are some private inspection firms who are attempting to capitalize on this opportunity by advertising themselves as basement , Marble Floors apartment or fire , Choose Best Gas Grill and Cook Delicious Food code specialists. Don't be fooled. Municipal Building , Dishwasher Fever - What these Large Appliances Offer! & Fire , How To Deal With Old Plaster Problems Departments are the only organizations that have the authority to determine what constitutes code compliance.
What's this going to cost?
* Building , Mistakes? Permit Costs vary - check with local , Your Guide To The Best Home Water Filter Systems authority.
* Ontario Hydro Inspection $72.00
* Fire , Foundation Problems, Do's and Don'ts Dept. Code Inspection $142.00 (typical/average)
* The estimated cost to upgrade or correct an existing basement , Bamboo Wood Flooring Guide apartment can be as high as $15,000.00!
The regulatory information , A Clean House is a Lucky House: 8 Tips for Creating a Clean -- and Fortunate -- Home in this article was current as of 1996, however may be subject to change , Mistakes? as any time. Consult with your local , Marble Floors Building Code Official or Fire , Your Guide To The Best Home Water Filter Systems Department for up-to-date regulations. , A Lasting Scent
Ontario Fire , Various Types of Flooring for Your Home Marshall's Office: www.ofm.gov.on.caCopyright Gil Strachan - All rights reserved.
Gil Strachan is a professional home , Bamboo Flooring - The "Other" Wood inspector, representing Electrospec Home , 6 Saving Tips When Moving Inspection Services in east-central Ontario, Canada since 1994. Visit http://www.allaroundthehouse.com to learn more about home , Bamboo Flooring - The "Other" Wood inspections.
"The Home , Central Heating - Balancing Radiators Reference Book"
You can probably find a home , 6 Saving Tips When Moving inspection for a little less than what we ask, but you probably won't find the Home , building: Installing Sill Plates Reference Book. A $60 value, this solutions-oriented reference tool , 10 Steps to Improve Your Lighting comes free with every inspection we perform.
It's the first tool , Air Purifiers: Putting A Stop To Airborne Allergies you should have around the house! , Water Beds and Bedding Facts for Consumers
|Outdoor Fireplaces and the Best Ways to FInd them - Before you contemplate any fireplace purchase you should make sure that the heat , Free Satellite TV Deals installation source you might be buying from gives you the belief that getting your cash back and item exchanged if needed will never be a hassle, changing or part excha...
|Atlanta Heating and Cold Weather Alert - Here are some tips , Interconnects for Your Audio/Video System - Choosing The Proper Cables from the R.S. Andrews Technicians on how you can save , Things To Consider While Designing A Guest Bedroom money and ensure your comfort with your home's heating system:- Have your furnace tuned up and inspected for safety , Climbing Frames and Play Structures - Do you need planning
permission ? before the coldest weather , Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting Tips And Ideas arrives. Have a professi...
|Composite Decking – The Ultimate Choice In Materials For Your Deck - Composite decking is material that is made from recycled or pure plastic , Carpet Cleaners: 12 Tips To Remove Stains and recycled wood. , Help Choosing Door and Window Hardware The recycled wood , Siding for Homeowners used to make the composit material is usually wood , Contemporary Furniture - What Style is For You? fiber or sawdust. Some manufacturers , Green Building: The Time is Now! use recycled pop bottles as part of the plastic , Used Air Compressors comp...
|Buyers Guide For Mailboxes - Many people are interested in getting new residential mailboxes. There are, however, so many to choose from. This can make it hard for many people to decide what kind they should buy. If this sounds like you, please read on for some valuable informat...
|Drip Drip Drip-That Darn Leaky Faucet! - We’ve all been there, trying to fall , Attic Ventilation Benefits: Turn Down The Heat! asleep and the only thing we can focus on is that dreaded sound: drip, drip ,drip. So you get up and you think I just have to turn the handle tighter to make the drip stop, yea if it were only that easy!...
|Where to Find a Local List of Plumbers - Having problems with your drainage system? Does it have leaks? You may be in the market for a plumber. Not sure where to turn? The good news is that it is fairly easy to find a reliable, experienced plumber for any of your household , A Guide to Tropical Wall Murals jobs....
|The Value of Custom Weather Vanes - Custom weather , What are the True Benefits of a Sauna? vanes help to give a personal touch to the landscape , Laminate Wood Flooring and the Benefits over Traditional Wood & Ceramic Tile of any building. , Battery-Powered-Tools, How to Get the Most From Them Custom weather , Five Tips To Help Choose The Proper Hardwood Floor vanes have become very popular because of the wide range of designs , Is An Electric Fireplace The Right Choice For You? available as well as the number of designers , Discount Laminate Floors who are willing to provide customi...
|Tips In Choosing Area Rugs - A house , Buying the Right Garage Door Opener or office may be very minimalist but what can make it an eye pleaser are the accessories , New Jersey Home Remodeling and furnishings, properly used and coordinated with the other furniture , How To Remove Pet Stain, Ballpen(Ink) Stain And Wine Stain On Your Carpet Using Household Products in the room. , Selecting The Right Patio Furniture Cushions One such furnishing that can be used to achieve an over-all effect i...
|Log Homes - Is a Log Home In Your Future? - Many people dream about a log home , Corrugated Roofing Materials Used for Roofing Any Structure in their future but never get around to making their dream come true. Here's how to , Painting Kitchen Cabinets get past the hurdles and start living your dream.Finances are one of the most common reasons many people never live their...
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |